Tabernacle, St. George
Built over a period of fourteen years, the St. George Tabernacle is known as the “Jewel of the West.” There is documentation that Brigham Young had directed Elder Erastus Snow to construct such a building as early as 1862.
William H. Folsum was the primary architect of the tabernacle, assisted by Miles Romney. The first cornerstone was laid in 1863. Work continued on the building for more than a decade. The building was used for various meetings and other purposes as early as 1873 but the structure was not dedicated until May 14, 1876. Brigham Young Jr. offered the formal prayer of dedication.
The tabernacle was used for all types of church meetings, socials, weddings, funerals, civic and community purposes and events sponsored by other faiths. One of the best known stories associated with the tabernacle is that of President Lorenzo Snow receiving a revelation that the Saints needed to be more faithful in paying their tithes and offerings.
Maintenance for the tabernacle proved to be challenging because of a lack of resources. Needed repairs were often delayed for years. In 1971 the tabernacle was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is now operated as a Church Historic Site.
Map & Directions
The St. George Tabernacle is located in downtown St. George at 18 South Main Street. The gps coordinates are: 37°06’28” N; 113°35’1.68″ W.
The St. George Tabernacle is owned and operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as a Church Historic Site. It is open for free tours from 9:00 am to dusk when not being used for other purposes.
Articles & Resources
Michael N. Landon, “A Shrine to the Whole Church: The History of the St. George Tabernacle,” Mormon Historical Studies, Volume 12, Number 1, Spring 2011, 125-146.