Marker at Troost Park, Kansas City, Missouri, USA
The marker at Troost Park was erected to commemorate the first log schoolhouse in Jackson County. On August 2, 1831, the Prophet Joseph Smith and others assisted the Colesville Saints in placing the first log as a foundation for the establishment of Zion. It was done at the site of the building which was to be both a school and a church. A ten-inch oak was cut and carried to the designated location by 12 men representing the Twelve Tribes of Israel.1 Among those who participated were Joseph Smith, Oliver Cowdery, Sidney Rigdon, Hezekiah Peck, Ezekiel Peck, Joseph Knight, Sr., Aaron Culver, Ezra Booth, Freeborn Demill, William Stringham, and Ira Willis. Oliver then laid a cornerstone and delivered an address.
The original marker read as follows: “School in Zion. On August 2, 1831, the Prophet Joseph Smith was assisted by the members of the Colesville Branch of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and others in laying the log for the first house as a foundation of Zion in Kaw Township. The log was carried and placed by twelve men representing the twelve tribes of Israel. The house, a place of worship, was also used as a school and was the first school to be erected within the boundaries of Kansas City, Missouri, as they existed in 1832. Unveiling and Dedication September 14, 1963 by President David O. McKay The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.”
The marker was to be dedicated by David O. McKay, but was dedicated by Joseph Fielding Smith instead. In 2000, a restored marker was dedicated.
1 Arnold K. Garr and Clark V. Johnson, eds., Regional Studies in Latter-day Saint History: Missouri (Provo: Department of Church History and Doctrine, 1994), 287.
Map & Directions
Hours of Operation: Daylight to dark
Articles & Resources
Arnold K. Garr and Clark V. Johnson, eds., Regional Studies in Latter-day Saint History: Missouri (Provo: Department of Church History and Doctrine, 1994).