Charles Good Monument, Des Moines, Iowa
The Mormon Historic Sites Foundation, in conjunction with the Iowa State Historical Society, is planning to erect a sculpture to pay tribute to Mr. Charles Good.
Mr. Good was a resident of Des Moines, Iowa at the time that the James G. Willie Handcart Company passed through the city. The James G. Willie Company journal for July 31, 1856 described him as “a respectable gentleman from the City [town of Fort Des Moines], who seemed very favorable to the Gospel, from no impure motive brought a present of 15 pairs of children’s boots.”
The cost of the landscaping and monument which will depict Mr. Good giving a pair of boots to a Mormon girl is estimated at $70,000. This Des Moines memorial will be erected at Good Park which was named for Charles nearly a century ago. MHSF is currently accepting donations through this website or by sending your contribution to the following address:
Mormon Historic Sites Foundation
Charles Good Sculpture
299 S. Main Street, Suite 1700
Salt Lake City, UT 84111